Contact Us »

Site Search

History

The first known mention of (Cedesfille) Catsfield “there is a little church serving the Hall” is to be found in the 1086 record, which was commissioned by Duke William of Normandy and known as the Domesday Book. Fields to the North and East of the Church contain many man made ramparts, similar to those found around the ironage or early Saxon villages. The 11th Century Church of St Laurence has been one of the main influences in the Parish and currently continues that theme.

The village school, was first known to be on the present site as early as 1817 when the Reverend William Delves and James Eversfield commissioned the building of a new Church of England School. Replaced in 1845 and extended in 1912, after the Second World War and most recently in 2004 where over £500,000 was invested in new buildings.

The “White Hart” public house was originally constructed as a private dwelling in 1675. The Tithe map of 1840 shows that it was known then as “The White Hart Inn”, with its function room it was one of the centres for entertainment in the village.

The centre of the village known as “The Green” was open common land until the eighteenth century. Towards the end of the 19th and early 20th Century the green became the focal point of the village as it is today.

In 1805 the village consisted of but a handful of houses. During the period 1800 to 1900 a great many of the current buildings were erected, since then, with the exception of the Council housing estate (1948) in Skinners lane being built.

The De Bressy line, fighters with William of Normandy, fathered the Brassy family who around 1865 started purchasing lands in Catsfield, culminating in the Normanhurst Estate, Brassy’s philanthropy towards the village and villagers in providing a Cricket Field, Village Hall, and support for many worthy clubs helped make Catsfield what it is today.

Agriculture, engineering, woodland management and employment offered by the local landowners and worthies such as the Brassy, Blackman, Honnisett, Barry and Upfield families provided the impetus to build more houses and provided gainful employment to the residents.

In the 1841 Census returns showed 579 people including babies were resident in the village and by the time of the 1891 Census this number had risen to 740. Today the population of Catsfield Parish is 824 


Last updated: 15 Sep 16